Thursday, January 26, 2012

I'm a Dirty Girl

5 months and 4 days til I get down and dirty as I run, scale walls, and jump in pools of mud.  Or something like that.

I have signed up for the Dirty Girl Run with 30 friends for June 30th.  The event which supports cancer research is designed to be a fun, noncompetitive, challenging and team building course through mud and obstacles.  

As soon as I heard about it, I knew that I wanted to join on.  After all, I've needed something to motivate me to exercise and get back on the weight loss train.  This would be perfect!  Sure, I have no upper body strength so scaling a wall may be a bit of a challenge but why not? Plus I have been having a mental crisis surrounding friendships lately (more on that in an upcoming post) and figured that being a part of such a large, supportive team would do me some good. 

But then I thought back to my journey towards a 5K during the Summer of 2010.  I started off training very strong.  Then I well, quite frankly stopped.   I still went through with the 5K but walked a vast majority of it.  I never really realized just how long 3 miles is until I passed the Mile 1 marker and thought Seriously? That was only 1 mile.  Shit.

So I called dear husband James, my biggest supporter. This was our conversation:

Me: Okay, so you know how I get all excited about something.  I get all into it but then eventually I lose interest and fail miserably?

Him: Yea.

Me: Okay so I want to join this Dirty Girl Mud Run thing.  You run through mud and go through all these obstacles. I've been looking for exercise motivator and it's not until June so I have plenty of time.  What do you think?

Him: Mud wrestling? Cool. I'll be there.

So I was in!  And since I have kept myself so accountable here with my weight loss, I figured I could hold myself accountable via this blog for this exercise crap that I'm gonna have to do so I'm not left gasping for air before I even hit the first obstacle.

The group of girls I am doing this with is comprised of all fitness levels so this makes me feel much better.  If I die, I will not be dying alone.  At least, I better not.  I'll bring someone down with me. 

My plan is to actually utilize the free gym at work.  I can't tell you how long I have bitched about not being able to afford a gym so I just can't work out.  Yea, the free gym at work has been open a couple months already.  Have I gone?  Yes granted it was only to look at the equipment. It's a small gym but at least it can get me going.

I want to start getting up early (this is the part I have difficulty with) and starting my work day early so I can get to the gym and have a work out before coming home at my normal time.  My gym bag has been packed but it has been forgotten the past 2 days so I will start this tomorrow (okay, it will likely be more like Monday).

To find out more information on the event, check out their website: Dirty Girl Run

Looks like fun, right?


4 comments:

DebLewin said...

I know you can do it!!!!!!!!

Megan said...

Looks like fun!!! :)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

You can do it!! Rotate bags and keep one in the car and one ready to go! No excuses!! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it does look like fun! so HAVE fun doing it!