Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Life As A Juror - Part 1

When I received my jury summons for Monday, October 24th, I was pretty indifferent to it.  I had only been called once before in college and never even had to end up going at all.  The thought of serving on a jury was actually not unappealing to me.  I figured it would be a perfect time to catch up on some school work that I had been slacking on.  After all, the vast majority of people I know were never actually called to serve as a juror, they just sat around all day and were eventually dismissed.

Things started going downhill the Friday before.  My car brakes started to grind and our bathroom plumbing problems could not be ignored.  My week at work was filling up rather quickly.  Although I wouldn't mind serving on a jury one day, that particular day became less and less appealing.  I should have known what would happen.




I was assigned to Criminal Court at 26th and California. For those not familiar with this west side of Chicago area, let's just say that you pray you get out of there before sunset.  It's not a fun place to be. As I read up on the court house, it said that you will not find a cab to take you home in that area. 


I arrive and much like airport security, you and your possessions are fully screened and I head up to a large room on the 3rd floor.  I was given the number 6 and then sat at a table so that I could spread out and slowly get started on my paper.  By 10am we were shown a video that told us about our time in lock up jury duty.  I was making plans as to what candy bar from the vending machine to have for lunch and what I should do if I got out of there early.


At about 11am, a gentleman came out and announced two group numbers....Group 6 was one of them.  There was about 70-80 people led out to a courtroom where we stood in the hallway for a good 30 minutes. 


Once we were finally allowed in, we sat in the galley of the courtroom.  This area was separated from the rest of the court by a glass divider but speakers allowed us to hear what was going on inside.  It was a rather small, circular room.  You could see all the typical people inside the court - judge, clerk, attorneys and the accused.  We were welcomed by the female judge and were told the charges against the young man before me.


1 Charge First Degree Murder
1 Charge Attempted First Degree Murder
1 Charge Criminal Battery with a Firearm (I believe that was it)


My breath was momentarily taken away. Yes, I knew I was in criminal court but for whatever reason, I never thought I would be a potential juror for a murder case. I knew right then that I had no desire to be chosen.

The judge called in 14 people who took a seat in the jury box.  Each person was asked the same questions including- name, general location, occupation, children, if you knew any police or lawyers.  I am a nosey person and all but sitting through 14 interviews was mighty tedious - especially when the lunch hour was upon us and my stomach started to rumble.

A break was taken while lawyers and the judge met and I shared my packet of gum with my fellow hungry potential jurors.  Another 30+ minutes pass.  Finally the judge arrives back, asks a few follow up questions and chooses 8 people to serve on the jury.

Huh, they are not wasting time.  I figured they would want to interview everyone first and pick the best of the lot.  I thought wrong.

I had hoped I was in the next 14 to be called so I could quickly be dismissed.  Again, I really thought I wouldn't be picked.  I was #13 called to be questioned so I sat and listened to another 12 people.  When it was my turn, I answered truthfully (bad idea?) and hoped that the judge would pity me for having a 4 year old and working full time AND going to grad school. 

Another break and I went to the rest room.  Tell me how a LARGE court house attached to one of the busiest prisons in the country has only one women's bathroom with one toilet.

I return and receive my $17.20 paycheck.  You read that right....seventeen dollars - ohhhhh yea.  Bonus, my work lets me keep the paycheck AND I get paid.  Now where to spend it all?

Break is over and she reads off 4 names.  Good, the jury is now filled. But wait, alternate #1 is chosen.  Then alternate #2 - Me.   So so close.

We are immediately brought back to the jury room.  14 strangers sitting in silence and contemplating if the food served to us was edible.  It was not. 

No comments: