Monday, May 16, 2011

I'm All Signed Up!

I have 4 or 5 posts in my draft area that I haven't finished yet.  At this point, I think I'll be deleting my Mother's Day post. 

I did want to write a couple of updates of things that have been on the horizon.

1. I applied to and was accepted into a Master's of Health Administration program for the fall.  Today, I actually just registered for my first class - Organizational and Human Resource Management.  I will be attending a private University which happens to offer this degree entirely online.  Right now, I am pretty zen about the whole thing.  I do have moments of nervousness especially with the online portion of this story.  I started college back when email was just getting popular. Although I am technological semi savvy, the change from a traditional classroom setting is a bit daunting.

If I take one class a semester (Fall, Winter, Summer), I can finish in 3 years.  I hope to be able to do it in less time than that but I am not going to push myself.  I decided to only take one class to start off with in a traditional 14 week setting.  I can always chose to do an accelerated 8 week course in the future.


For those of you who have taken online courses, where is the cheapest place to buy books from?  I had forgotten just how expensive those pesky things are.

2.  Today, I also officially signed up for Weight Watchers! Hooray!  I have been wanting to join for quite some time but just couldn't manage the weekly cost.  Now my work is covering the majority of the cost and the money I am putting forward can be refunded if I meet certain goals! 

This is coming just in time since my "big" clothes are starting to feel a bit tight.  Hopefully this will be the motivation I need.....

Plus, my supervisor gave me a free 3 month pass to a health club that she won in a raffle.  Now I REALLY have no excuse to shed some of these pounds.

5 comments:

Mrs. Lukie said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations, Sarah! So excited & happy for you...about everything :)

I used Amazon a lot for my textbooks (for both online and in person classes--so much cheaper!)

One thing that always helped me with my online undergrad courses was to map out a time every day (or every T/Th, or whatever) just like a "regular" class, to do my studying, etc. I put it in my planner and wouldn't allow myself to 'cancel' just like I wouldn't with a real class. It worked really well for me.

Best of luck!

Diane said...

I haven't been in school in ages, but my little cousins use http://www.chegg.com/ and http://www.ecampus.com/

Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Oh yay congrats!!

Angel The Alien said...

Wow, you can get through school in three years by just taking one class per semester? I wish I had done it that way! I'm working on my BA in special ed teaching, and have been going part time for about 7 years! Now going full time, just to crank it out and be done. As for books, I've been told by classmates (I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to next semester) to rent books from Chegg.com. (I know there are also other sites... I just remember Chegg.com because there was a poster at my school... but you could probably do a Google search and find others!)