Friday, June 24, 2011

I Plead Not Guilty

Yes, the dead turtle was located by my car but there is absolutely no proof that it was me that ran the poor thing over.  Perhaps she just keeled over of a heart attack.  All the evidence is circumstantial. There were no witnesses to the (pregnant) turtles demise. 

Just as my "cot" incident in Spain, I will never live this down amongst the friends I went on vacation with.  You ask "What exactly is the 'cot' incident?"  Well I don't want to tell you because it is mighty embarrassing. 

Fine, stop yelling at me, I'll tell you the story. Ironically, I was in Madrid with the same friends that I was in Michigan with for the above mentioned turtle incident.  I think they bring out something strange in me.  Or they are my only friends.  Probably both.

This was in 2002 I believe.  Friends and myself (I had just started dating James so he stayed behind with mono)  went on our international adventure to visit one of said friend's cousin who was studying abroad.

We get to our hotel and somehow I get put in charge of asking for an extra sleeping area.  The problem? I do not speak Spanish (it's on my to-do list).  I attempted to ask the hotel desk clerk for an extra cot for our room.  He did not speak English (it's on his to-do list).  Suddenly and unintentionally, I became the ignorant American and started to raise my voice saying "COT! COT!" like yelling at the man was suddenly going to make him understand what the hell I was saying. 

Have yet to live that down.

Now I'm the turtle killer and the "COT!" girl.

Other than the unfortunate incident with the turtle (I didn't do it), James, Lillian and I had a great time squatting at our friends' vacation rental house.  It was a cool log cabin in the middle of a lot of trees.  Perfect horror movie setting.  In fact, on the first night, I ran outside by myself to get my book that I left in the car.  I'm quite surprised I made it back alive and wasn't chopped up by some crazy serial killer. 

Log Cabin - no Internet, can you believe that? Sheesh

See!  Lots of trees!

Lillian got to see her first beach and her Mom in a bathing suit.  E'gad!  She was adorable and had a blast.  She refused to get her hair wet though - what's up with that?
But she did bury herself. 


Since I missed my Weekly Weigh In post...here it is:

Before leaving on the trip, I weighed in and lost 4.4 lbs!  Yay!  Although I am cautiously optimistic since my 2 biggest weight losses have happened at weigh in locations other than my normal meeting.  Anyone know how Weight Watchers calibrates their scales? 

Anyway, I'll take the 4 lbs and run because that now puts me down 10.8lbs from my starting weight. However, I was not so good on my vacation eating.  There was mac and cheese.  And awesome onion rings.  And homemade breakfasts each morning.  I am trying to make up for my 4 days of naughtiness by eating ice cubes for the rest of the week.  (Disclaimer, eating ice cubes for a week is not approved by Weight Watchers).

 

2 comments:

Deb said...

I don't think the heart attack scenario can explain away the crushed and bloody mess that we found!!!!! We love you anyway.

Sarah said...

DEB! You too? You too? lmao