Monday, March 7, 2011

Freeze!

I have a bad tendency to freeze when I am feeling overwhelmed.  I just stop and avoid doing what I should be doing.  Then I am surprised when time has run out and I am in a panic trying to finish what I should have been working on for days.

I have many vices and faults and I know how to deal with most of them.  I need to lose weight, I really have to stop eating so damn much.  Too much time on the computer? Turn the damn thing off. This may not be easily accomplished things for me but at least I know what the solution is.
With this, I just do not know how to break this particular habit of mine. It's deep down inside.  It's part procrastination and part fear that I will not succeed. 

I need to finish a proposal by Wednesday at noon.  This should  not be a big deal but since this proposal is going to a VIP at work, I am second guessing everything I type or think.  So what do I do?  I'm writing here on my blog.  I'm checking Facebook at work (hey, it's their fault for unblocking it).  I am avoiding.  This will bite me in the behind in about 48 hours.



Any helpful hints on getting myself back in line?

2 comments:

Steph said...

Can you set Outlook reminders to pop up periodically? Maybe the annoyance of having to continually hit "Snooze" will just make you get to the proposal?

Or what about challenging yourself? This is what I have to do on the elliptical, LOL. I say I'm only going to get on for 10 minutes. As I'm approaching 10 minutes I say I feel good, so let me see if I can push myself to 15 minutes, etc. Maybe you can shoot to work on it for 10 minutes first, then see if you can double the amount of pages/paragraphs/etc done in another 5 minutes.

Good luck!

Dawn said...

Take yourself out of your usual environment, and make a pact with yourself, "If I work on this proposal for 30 minutes, I can play on the internet for 10". Sad, but it used to work for me all the time.