Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dating.

I have never been very good at dating.  I've never been much of a flirt and I was continually paranoid about having enough conversation to keep things flowing.  (Un)lucky for me, I really didn't do all that much dating in my life.  Somehow I managed to snag myself a man and almost 7 years later, remain married and most of the time quite happily.

I am at a new stage in life, one that is just as frightening - if not more so - as dating in your 20s.  Dating in  your 30s. But this dating is a whole new ball game.  I'm not looking for a man to kiss at the end of the night, I'm looking for another woman to sit back, drink wine and gossip with...I'm looking for a Friend Date.

Ever since high school, I am friends with many people but connect to a relatively small percent of them.  I've been excluded, I've been overlooked and most times, I'm sure, it's not even personal.  I'm just not the person you call to go grab a bit to eat with but I really want to be that person.

Now with those people I do connect with?  It's great but I'm lazy.  There, I said it, I can be a very lazy friend who doesn't reach out nearly as much as I should.  Shame on me.

Recently, however, I have been putting in the effort with someone new and from an unexpected place...Lillian's preschool.  Since James does all the drop off/pick up, I figured I would never get a chance to bond with the other Moms.  But one day, when I was there, a Mom approached me and said that her daughter always talked about Lillian.  We left saying that we should set up a play date at some point.

I decided to finally take some initiative and sent James to school with a note for the other Mom with my email address.  Since then we've emailed and text...we even set up a play date.

I picked out an outfit, put make up on, and tried to arrange it so I would arrive at the mall at the perfect time.  My mind raced with conversation topics from TV shows to holiday shopping.  My heart flip flopped hoping for a good date not filled with hesitation and awkward silences.

The date went well.  We had fun.  Plenty of conversation.  Our children alternated having temper tantrums.  Life is grand.

I am happy to report that our Mommy play date has since blossomed into a friendship with the two of us dining out on Saturday night.  This upcoming weekend? A movie!  The best part, the dear, sweet, loving James will be home with not only Lillian but her daughter as well.

I am proud of myself because I am making an effort to grow this new friendship.  If I haven't heard from her, I'll pick up the phone and text.  I initiated going out to a movie.  Now, I need to work on my already established relationships...which may even mean you.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

That's great! I know how hard it is to make friends as an adult. I know I find it difficult. Here's to a long lasting friendship!

Anonymous said...

yay, new friends are fun!

Anna Rain said...

It's great when after all that effort you finally make that new friend! It may sound silly but, I'm happy for you.