Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lunch Time!

After the great Chicago blizzard of 2011, people around here are busting out their pedicures and flip flops today at the first sign of spring...near 60 degree weather. I was determined to actually get outside to enjoy the relative warmth...while it lasts.

The problem here at my new job is two-fold.  1. I have no friends and 2. There isn't much opportunity to say, take a walk down the block and find a good restaurant for lunch.  As much as I grew to despise my old job, I did have two things there: Friends and my choice of a plethora of good restaurants within walking distance. 

I end up just eating at my desk or not eating at all. I may work through or do some web surfing or writing here on the blog.  I really need to stop this bad habit.  At the very least I should leave my desk to eat and read a book. 

Today I decided that I would get out of here and try to enjoy the weather.  Truth be told, the calling of a spring time ritual, the McDonald's Shamrock Shake drew me out as much as the weather did.  I didn't have much time but I did it.  Sadly, the sun wasn't shining but my light jacket did the job in keeping me comfortable.  I drove to McD's got a cheeseburger and a shake. 

The cheeseburger had ketchup oozing from it and was overall, disappointing.  The shake though, did its job in satisfying my craving.  Interestingly enough, my shake was not all green. The green was layered in with white.  I had never noticed this pattern before.  Still tasted minty so I was all good.

I drove back to work, parked on the roof of the garage, opened the window and actually read my book for a whole 15 minutes before I had to head back in.

What's your lunch routine?  Do you have trouble taking some time out or are you all about getting your well deserved break?

6 comments:

Santrice said...

Wow...You're now taking time for you. I remembered that hardly ever being the case as your previous occupation. Well, my lunch time routine, is just that.....lunch time. I take the time as often as I can to grab lunch and enjoy myself. More people should embrace and implement this concept into their lives. This will make for a much happier world!

Anna said...

I use my lunch as one of my planning times. I am getting things ready for my next group of kids while scarfing down my lunch in 30 minutes. Hopefully, I will be more organized in my next years of teaching so I can actually relax and enjoy this time.

Anonymous said...

Lunch felt like a luxury to me - a whole hour without a boss or a kid whining that they needed something like two seconds ago - and I took FULL advantage of that. I'd go for a walk, read a book, take a nap, or catch up with a friend by phone. I saved eating for when I was back at my desk working.

On a side-note, I'm wondering if my word verification "fockeded" is a bad omen for the day...

Unknown said...

I sit at my desk pretty much all day long. I usually bring lunch, and eat it at my desk. If I buy my lunch one day, I generally just zip down to the food court on the ground floor really quickly, and then bring my food back up and eat at my desk.

No one here really takes long lunch breaks, unless it's really not busy, and at the most, it's usually once a week or so. Almost everyone ends up eating lunch at their desks.

Also, I've never had a Shamrock Shake before, but I've always heard people talk about them... maybe this will be the year that I finally try one!

Anonymous said...

I don't get lunch. :) This is actually the first management job I've had that tries to get its managers breaks... but they still come whenever you can grab them, you don't leave the building, and if something happens, it's back to work.

Unknown said...

I love these Sarah and can't wait what you are going to write about next! So, lunch time in the firehouse can be everyone pitching in to cook something, or take out, or whatever you brought. And recliner time if no calls come in. I chase the sunshine around the firehouse so wherever the sun is shining in, I'll be curled up reading after lunch.