Thursday, August 18, 2011

Swing High My Child

Am I the only parent who loves to grab the swing next to my child and soar like I was 8 years old?


There is just something so freeing and lovely and calming about pumping my legs and reaching for the sky.  It's the best way to quickly transport me to the laughter and ease that is childhood. 

I spent countless hours on the playgrounds surrounding my house. What else did a child of the 80s do after all?  1. ride your bike and 2. go to the park and 3. Play Atari

My grade school park was my favorite.  It was the now "old fashion" equipment that was made of wood and surrounded by sand.  There were four tire swings where four kids could fit on one.  One person would stand and pump the tire so high and it was twice as fun if you could bump the swing next to  you.  The tire was hung by chains and we would twist and twist and then let go to fall into a wonderful dizziness.


Now I swing beside my daughter and just take off, closing my eyes and enjoying the sweet summer breeze and reflecting on life.




That is until Lillian starts swinging just as high as me and I panic and imagine seeing her fly through the air and landing face first in the wood chips. 

Where was I? Oh yes, being care-free. 

Being a worry less child (something which every child should be but sadly, is not) is a blessing that one does not recognize until fears, anxieties and stresses practically take over every other thought.  You earn that badge of adulthood with your first bill, your first heart break, your first bounced check.  And if you chose to continue on to receive the Parenthood Badge, well then you worry so that they don't.

So if you haven't, no matter your age, find a swing and take yourself on a ride...in your head and heart.  I'm serious about this...go.  It's perfect weather.  Report back!

No comments: